Mapillary uses computer vision technology to automatically extract map data from street-level imagery. There are two types of data: object detections and map features.
- Object detections: we identify objects such as traffic signs, street lights, fire hydrants, and many more in images. As the images are also geotagged, you can get a dataset of image locations and filter it by object type, so you’ll know which images show your object of interest.
- Map features: when an object has been detected in several images, we can triangulate it and estimate the coordinates of the object, positioning on the map as a map feature. You get a dataset of the object locations so you can add them as features to your map or geospatial dataset.
Go to the Mapillary web app to explore and visualize the data. Using our free subscription tier, you can download a data sample from a small area of your choice (up to 25 km of roads) to view in your GIS tools (available as a shapefile or GeoJSON). Note that you can’t download the images.
Your subscription will be valid for a year. During that time, you’ll have access to all new imagery and data that gets added in your sample area. That also means you can go out and capture new imagery yourself to see what the results will look like. Once you’re ready to move on with a real subscription, you can use the same process as described below for getting a subscription for a larger area.
Getting a sample subscription
- Create a Mapillary account on the Mapillary web app.
- Set up an organization by clicking on your name at the top right corner.
- In organization mode, click on the Shapes tab and add a new shape.
Choose the “Draw” mode and draw your sample area on the map. Make sure the “Total roads” count stays under 25 km. Click “Finished” to create the shape.
Tip: use the search icon at the top of the map to quickly zoom into the area where you want to draw.
- Click on your newly created shape to view it, and then “Explore map data” to see what kind of data this shape contains.
- Toggle different layers on and off to visualize different types of data on the map.
- Request your free subscription by clicking “Subscribe to map data”. After you submit the request, please allow one working day for us to activate your sample subscription.
- Once your subscription is active, return to your dashboard on the Mapillary web app.
- Click on “Shapes” in the sidebar and then on your shape.
- Scroll down to find the “Download” section and click on “Request download”. Your data files will be prepared now; this may take a little time.
- When the download is ready, click on the item to see a summary of what the download contains.
Scroll down to the bottom of the list where you can choose to download the data as either a shapefile or GeoJSON, depending on which GIS tool you plan to use for viewing the data layers.