Imagery capture projects are available for organizations on Mapillary through the Capture Projects toolset. The idea of a capture project is to divide an area into smaller tasks that a team of drivers can work on simultaneously to collect fresh imagery. If you have your own team available, you can set up a project that you manage yourself. If you want to outsource the driving, you need to list your project on the Mapillary Marketplace.
To set up a project, you use Mapillary's Capture Projects feature. Here is how you list a project on the Marketplace.
- Go to your organization on the Mapillary web app (see here for a tutorial about setting up an organization).
- Open your dashboard and click on "Imagery capture" in the sidebar.
- You may need to first request access to the Capture Projects feature. The "Request access" button opens a form where you're asked to share some information about the project you have in mind. Please make sure to mark that you're interested in finding drivers for the project through the Marketplace.
- Once you've got access to the feature, click on "Create new project".
- In the first step, pick an internal name for your project (it will be visible only on your admin dashboard) and choose a shape and imagery upload target for it. Also, flip the switch for publishing the project on the Marketplace.
- In the next step, you'll be asked to enter some information about the project that will be publicly visible on the Marketplace. Choose a public name and write a short description of your project to motivate potential contributors to join. You'll also choose what kind of imagery you want:
- Front-facing imagery (captured with mobile phones, action cameras, or dashcams)
- Surround-view imagery (captured with a rig of action cameras)
- Stitched panoramic imagery (captured with 360° cameras)
- Last, you'll draw a task grid over the area of your shape that you'd like to get covered with imagery. After creating the project, we'll get in touch with you about the exact cost of the project. Once you've paid your invoice, we'll make your project listing visible on the Marketplace.
- After publishing, the project is available for anyone to apply. Applicants will go through a qualification process before they're added to the project, and Mapillary will help with onboarding and tasking the drivers to complete your project. Throughout the project, you can go to the admin dashboard anytime to see progress and access imagery and map data as it becomes available.
You're welcome to also check the help article about Capture Projects for more information about the toolset.