Before capturing imagery, it is important to first consider which device and equipment will be best for your capture session.
- Mobile phones: A smartphone is the simplest device you can use for capturing and uploading images. Mobile phones are best for scenarios where you intend to mount a device inside your vehicle’s windshield, or walk with the phone. The Mapillary team develops mobile apps for Android and iOS.
- Action cameras: Action cameras are a good option for capturing great images, especially more demanding conditions with rough terrain, extreme weather, and high speeds. Compared to smartphones, action cameras are better at handling motion blur and more resistant to damage.
- 360 cameras: 360 cameras are great for covering all directions simultaneously. You can capture 360 imagery while driving a vehicle or walking, with or without the Mapillary App.
- Mounts: For each device and use case, you may wish to use different mounting methods. For capturing while driving, it is best to use a windshield mount for mobile phones inside vehicles, whereas it is best to mount action cameras and 360 cameras on the outside of vehicles. For multiple camera angles, you can mount several action cameras and 360 cameras at once. For capturing while walking, it is best to use a body mount for action cameras (chest or head), or a selfie stick for action cameras and 360 cameras. You may also hold your mobile phone horizontally to capture while walking.
- Memory/SD Cards: It is important to have enough memory on your device to store your photos after capturing. Mobile phones should have enough internal storage. One image takes roughly 2–8 MB, giving you about 1000–4000 images if you have 8 GB of free storage on your phone. For devices like action cameras and 360 cameras, we recommend inserting an SD card with around 128 GB, so you can capture as many images possible.
- Charging: It is important to fully charge all of your devices prior to capturing. When you have multiple devices to charge prior to capturing, we recommend a multi-port USB charging station, although this is optional.
- Power supply: It is equally important to keep your devices powered during your capture session. For shorter sessions, your device’s internal battery may be sufficient to last the duration of your session. For longer sessions, consider an external charging pack for each device, or a car charger if your situation allows for it.
- Protective cases: Most action cameras are built to withstand rough conditions. Should you wish to protect your device further, you may buy a protective case for your device.
Here we have gathered some example images from different devices.
Mobile phones (read more):
- iPhone mounted on the windscreen
- Nexus 5x mounted on the windscreen
- Samsung S7 mounted on the windscreen
Action cameras (read more):
360° cameras (read more):
Multiple camera rigs (read more):