|Mapillary for Drivers is a mobile app that’s used for completing image capture tasks that are part of capture projects set up on Mapillary. The app shows you your tasks and what needs to be captured, logs your driving sessions, and can also be used for capturing images. You need to have a Mapillary account and be added to a Capture project to be able to use the app.|
When participating in capture projects, you need to use the app to log your driving sessions regardless of whether you use the app itself or an external camera for capturing images (your project admin will instruct you on the equipment to use).
This guide gives a step-by-step overview of the following:
For a more detailed guide, see the separate article about Mapillary for Drivers.
Receiving capture tasks
1. Install the Mapillary for Drivers app (get it from the App Store; Android version coming up later this spring).
2. Log in to see your projects and tasks. If you have new assignments, you need to either accept or decline them before you can start a capture session.
3. Get an overview of where your tasks are located and think about the best route to drive in them.
Completing capture tasks
1. To begin, tap the “Start capture session” button and start driving. When you reach your assigned task area, the app will automatically start capturing images for you.
If your project admin has instructed you to use external cameras for capturing, start with setting them up. You still need to use the app to log your session but turn off the “iPhone captures images” option in the app settings. Set the external camera(s) to record first, then tap “Start capture session” when you start driving.
2. When you’re done with the session, swipe up on the status bar to see and tap on the “Finish driving and stop capturing” button.
3. Go to the “Upload” tab to upload your imagery. You need to keep the app open during upload.
If you captured with external cameras, you need to upload from your computer—use the Mapillary Desktop Uploader.
Submitting tasks for review
1. When you’ve completed capturing in a task and uploaded all imagery, you need to submit the task. Tap on the task in the task list to see the “Submit task as completed” button.
2. Your project admin will review the task and if everything is in order, approve it. If it needs more work, they can reject the task and assign it back to you for improvements. You’ll then need to accept or decline the task again before you can continue driving.