We hope you have already seen our general instructions on what to capture and how to take great images. Here are some extra tips for capturing while cycling.
- Use a sturdy mount to attach the phone horizontally to your bike handlebar. You can send a request to get one from Mapillary for free.
- Check that no parts of the bike are visible in the image.
- Ride slow and preferably on smooth surfaces. This has two reasons: to reduce blur that results from shocks absorbed by the bike and to make sure your phone doesn’t pop out of the holder.
- To be on the safe side, we strongly suggest that you use rubber bands or lanyards to secure your phone to the mount.
- For capturing on more bumpy rides (and also those on sand, gravel and dirt roads) we strongly recommend using an action camera.
- Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth to save battery while you capture. You might want to use a power bank for extra power supply.